Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homeward Bound

Home, where my thought's escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me

This song by Simon and Garfunkel has been bouncing around my head for a while now, just as "Going Places" by the Paperboys occupied my mind for some time before I left....

Here I am. It's March 7th, 4:17 PM. I have two more days until I get on the plane and begin my journey home.

Have you ever noticed while walking a dog or riding a horse, that the moment you turn back, homeward bound, everything, their bodies, their energy, changes. They know that the faster the walk, the sooner they'll be in the place they know best. There's a new enthusiasm in their stride and you don't even have to lead them in any direction or tell them where to turn- they know where they're going.

I hope this plane ride is like that for me. Everyone has told me the flight back home is worse, but won't it go by faster? I have dreams where I'm sitting at home with my family, telling them about my trip, and I pause and realize that I'm dreaming, because I know I still have that awful (12 hour?) flight ahead of me.

Can you tell I'm dreading it?!

I just got back from Coromandel yesterday- I did end up going, but not with the people I originally thought. Jen booked a cabin and rented a car for the two of us, and then our friend Jordan decided to go last minute as well. Jordan and I left early, only staying for three nights, while Jen stayed behind. She'll be coming back to Auckland today.

Looking back on it, Coromandel was the flood gate opening my eyes to all of the change I've been through. There were beaches there, and long conversations among friends, and stars, and sunshine, and admittedly some alcohol.

It was the perfect reflective ending to a very long trip.

Parts of me are still a bit confused, and parts of me after Coromandel are even more confused than when I began.

But that's life. Wouldn't it be boring if we had everything all figured out?

I think so.

Here are a few pictures: I've been lackadaisical lately and have barely taken any photos at all. Don't fret, there are thirty people on this trip that have pictures of every waking moment, so nothing will be missed or forgotten.


The day we left for Coromandel- It was rainy; a good day to say a sad goodbye



My room. I miss it

Our cabin in Coromandel. I had the bottom bunk

Front of cabin

Kitchen

We were in a trailer park right next to Hahei beach

The car we rented

This will most likely be my last post from New Zealand. I'll post soon about my life back home in the states.

We'll see how it goes!

Wish me luck,

And thank you so much for reading!

2 comments:

  1. We are so anxious to see you again Maddy. Maybe a Taco party is in order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a Taco Party would be splendid, Mimi. Just what Hannah, Ella and I need; family and your amazing tacos!

    ReplyDelete